When Everything Looks Real, What Do We Believe?

Lately, I have been thinking about how strange the world has become. Not necessarily strange in the obvious, dramatic way, but strange in the quiet way that makes you stop scrolling, put your phone down for a second and ask yourself, “Wait… was that actually real?”

I had one of those moments recently. I came across a video online and, honestly, I believed it. There was nothing about it that immediately screamed, “This is fake.” It looked real. It sounded real. It felt real. So I watched it, accepted what I was seeing, and carried on with my scrolling. It was only when I went into the comments that I realised people were pointing out that the video had been generated by AI.

And I just sat there thinking, Oh.

Because if I could watch something and genuinely believe it was real when it wasn't, then what happens when we can no longer tell the difference at all?

We are living in a time where almost anything can be created, altered, enhanced, reproduced or completely fabricated with a few prompts and a little technological assistance. A person can appear to say something they never said. A photograph can look like it was taken somewhere it never was. A voice can sound like someone who never actually spoke those words. A video can make something completely fictional look like breaking news. And suddenly, the internet isn't just a place where we consume information; it has become a place where we have to investigate whether the information we are consuming exists in reality in the first place.

That is a lot of responsibility to put on an ordinary person who just opened their phone to watch a funny video before bed.

And perhaps that is what has been bothering me the most lately: we are slowly entering a world where reality itself requires verification.

As a creative, I find that both fascinating and heartbreaking.

There is something deeply personal about creating something from nothing. Anyone who writes, photographs, paints, designs, makes music, tells stories, creates videos or expresses themselves through any form of art knows this feeling. You take something that existed only inside your head and somehow turn it into something another person can see, hear or feel. Sometimes you spend hours finding the right words. Sometimes you take hundreds of photographs to get the one image that feels right. Sometimes you rewrite the same paragraph five times because the first four versions don't sound like you. Sometimes you sit with an idea for days before you finally understand what you were trying to say.

There is labour behind creativity. There is emotion behind it. There is experience behind it.

And now, increasingly, there is suspicion.

You can write something beautifully and someone can ask, “Did AI write this?”

You can take a photograph and someone can wonder, “Is this edited?”

You can speak eloquently about something you have studied for years and somebody can jokingly ask, “ChatGPT told you that?”

You can put together an entire creative project and instead of people first asking, “What inspired you?” they may be wondering, “How much of this was actually you?”

And I will admit, that hurts.

Not because I think technology has no place in creativity. Quite the opposite. I use AI myself, and I understand how incredibly useful it can be. As a teacher, there are days when having an extra set of digital hands is incredibly helpful. It can help me organise ideas, assist with lesson planning, help me work through something when I am stuck, and even catch grammatical mistakes when I am writing. As someone who works with words, I appreciate having something that can help me look at my writing from another angle. Sometimes you don't need someone to do the work for you; you just need something to help you see what you might have missed.

And that, to me, is where the beauty of technology lies.

Assistance. Not replacement.

There is a difference.

When I was growing up, if you wanted to know something, you had to look for it. You went to the library. You searched through books. You read. You took notes. You compared information. You wrote things down. You made mistakes. You crossed things out. You started again. If you had an assignment, you actually had to sit there and figure out how to construct an argument with your own brain.

And yes, it was hard.

But there was something satisfying about it.

I still remember the feeling of finishing something I had struggled with. Not because it was perfect, but because I had done it. I had wrestled with the information. I had formed the sentences. I had made the connections. I had thought about it.

There was a sense of ownership attached to the work.

Today, information is everywhere. And ironically, because we have access to so much information, we sometimes seem less interested in actually learning it.

We have gone from having to search for answers to having answers delivered almost instantly. We can ask a machine to summarise a book we haven't read, write an assignment we haven't researched, create an image we haven't imagined, compose an email we don't want to think about and explain something we haven't taken the time to understand.

And perhaps the most uncomfortable question is this: if we outsource enough of our thinking, will we eventually forget how to think?

That question genuinely worries me.

Technology is supposed to make our lives easier, but easier is not always better.

There is a difference between convenience and growth.

Sometimes the struggle is part of the learning. Sometimes getting something wrong is how you learn to get it right. Sometimes sitting with a difficult question for an hour is more valuable than receiving the answer in ten seconds. Sometimes writing badly before you learn to write well is necessary. Sometimes the awkward first photograph is part of becoming a better photographer. Sometimes the terrible first draft is exactly what you need before you find your voice.

If we constantly remove the struggle, we may also remove the opportunity to develop the person who would have emerged from that struggle.

And I think about education in particular.

What happens to learning when students can generate an entire assignment without understanding the subject? What happens to research when finding information becomes so easy that we no longer question where it came from? What happens to writing when we no longer have to wrestle with our own sentences? What happens to creativity when the first instinct is no longer “What can I create?” but “What can I ask AI to create for me?”

And before anyone thinks I am standing on a digital mountain shouting, “Put down your phones and return to the library!” I am not.

I am literally someone who uses AI.

I think AI is an extraordinary tool. I think it can help people learn, brainstorm, communicate, organise their thoughts, overcome creative blocks and access information in ways that were unimaginable when I was growing up. It can be especially powerful when used by someone who already has knowledge, curiosity and critical thinking.

But a tool becomes a problem when we forget that we are supposed to be the ones holding it.

We cannot hand over our imagination, judgement and curiosity and then complain that the world feels less human.

And perhaps we need to talk about something else that is becoming increasingly precious: trust.

Because what happens when we become so accustomed to seeing fake things that we start doubting real ones?

This is the part that makes me uncomfortable.

Imagine being a genuinely talented photographer and having someone wonder whether your photograph is AI-generated. Imagine being a writer who spent years developing their craft and having readers assume that anything polished must have been written by a machine. Imagine being an artist who creates something extraordinary and having the first question be whether you actually created it yourself.

At some point, the burden of proof shifts.

We are no longer simply asking, “Is this good?”

We are asking, “Is this real?”

And that changes how we experience art.

One of the beautiful things about creativity is that it allows us to connect with another human being. When I read something that moves me, there is a part of me that wants to know the person behind those words. What have they experienced? What have they seen? What made them think this way? What part of their life found its way into this sentence?

When I look at a photograph, I want to imagine the person behind the camera. Why did they stop there? Why did they frame the shot that way? What did they see that made them press the shutter?

There is a human story behind creative work.

And I don't want us to lose that.

I also don't want us to become so cynical that we assume everything beautiful must be artificial.

Because there are still people doing beautiful, difficult, painstaking work. There are writers sitting at their desks with notebooks. There are photographers waiting for the right light. There are musicians practising the same passage over and over. There are artists painting with their hands. There are students staying up late trying to understand something. There are people learning skills the slow way because they genuinely want to master them.

There are humans still creating.

And perhaps we need to become better at recognising the difference between using technology to enhance human creativity and using technology to avoid creativity altogether.

Those are not the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with asking AI to help you brainstorm ideas and then taking those ideas somewhere completely your own. There is nothing wrong with using it to proofread your work, explain a difficult concept or help you organise your thoughts. There is nothing wrong with using technology as a creative assistant.

But if you never learn how to think without it, what happens when it isn't there?

If you never learn how to write without it, what happens when you need to find your own words?

If you never learn how to research, question, analyse and form an opinion, how will you know whether the answer you have been given is actually correct?

And perhaps most importantly, if you never practise being creative yourself, how will you ever discover what your own creativity sounds like?

That last question matters to me.

Because I don't want a world where everything is technically perfect but emotionally empty.

I don't want a world where every photograph has perfect lighting, every face is flawless, every sentence is polished and every video is cinematic, but nobody knows who made any of it or why.

I don't want us to lose the beautiful imperfections that remind us that humans were here.

The slightly crooked photograph. The sentence that isn't perfect but carries someone's heart. The accent. The handwritten note. The painting where you can see the brushstrokes. The song where you can hear someone's breath. The story that isn't perfectly structured but makes you cry anyway.

Maybe those imperfections will become even more valuable in the years ahead.

Because in a world where machines can make almost anything look perfect, being unmistakably human might become its own kind of art.

So, where are we going?

Honestly, I don't know.

Maybe that is the question that has been sitting with me.

We are moving forward at a speed that sometimes makes it difficult to stop and ask whether we are actually moving in the right direction. Every new technology promises to make something faster, easier and more efficient. And perhaps it will.

But somewhere along the way, I hope we remember that not everything valuable should be fast.

Learning takes time.

Relationships take time.

Mastery takes time.

Creativity takes time.

Thinking takes time.

Becoming takes time.

And perhaps we shouldn't be so afraid of that.

I don't think the answer is to reject AI. I think the answer is to become wiser about how we use it. To teach the next generation not only how to use these tools, but how to think critically about them. To encourage people to create before they consume. To research before they repeat. To question before they believe. To learn before they outsource. To use technology as a bridge rather than a crutch.

Because ultimately, AI can generate an answer.

But it cannot live your life for you.

It cannot experience your childhood. It cannot carry your memories. It cannot feel the heartbreak that shaped you, the joy that surprised you, the places you've travelled to, the people you've loved, the mistakes you've made or the lessons you've learned.

And those things matter.

They are the raw material of creativity.

So perhaps, as the world becomes increasingly artificial, our responsibility is not to become less human but to become more intentionally human.

Keep reading. Keep researching. Keep learning. Keep questioning. Keep making things with your own hands. Keep writing the messy first draft. Keep taking photographs. Keep having conversations where you actually know what you are talking about. Keep your curiosity alive.

And when someone asks, “Did AI make that?”

Sometimes, perhaps, we can smile and say:

“No.

A human did.

And it took me a while.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brows Before Barcodes: How Faith Built a Beauty Empire from the Ground Up

The Homeless Kids Collective Hub (THK): Where Creativity Finds a Home

Inside the World of Grayville: Where Vintage Breathes, Modern Speaks, and Fashion Feels Like Home