The Women Who Became Home: A National Girlfriends Day Reflection
Yesterday, the 1st of August, was National Girlfriends Day. While social media was filled with beautiful photos, appreciation posts, inside jokes, and screenshots of conversations that probably should have remained private (we all have that one friend who believes nothing is confidential if it's funny enough), I found myself smiling quietly and reflecting on the women who have walked beside me through the different seasons of my life.
Friendship has not always come naturally to me. I don't think I was one of those girls who effortlessly collected best friends wherever she went. You know the type. The ones who still have their kindergarten best friend, their primary school best friend, their high school squad, and somehow everyone still meets up every December wearing matching outfits. That wasn't my story. My younger years were filled with friendships that were pleasant but often temporary. We laughed together, shared classrooms, borrowed pens, exchanged secrets we swore would never leave the room, and then life happened. We drifted. Sometimes quietly. Sometimes painfully. Back then, I convinced myself that perhaps I simply wasn't good at friendship.
But growing older has a beautiful way of correcting the stories we tell ourselves.
Somewhere between becoming a woman and learning who I truly was, God began introducing me to people who were meant to stay. Not because they were perfect. Not because we never disagreed. But because they carried the kind of love that chooses reconciliation over pride, understanding over assumptions, and grace over perfection. I've come to realise that genuine friendship isn't measured by how long you've known someone. Sometimes a woman you met three years ago will know your heart better than someone you've known for fifteen. Time is precious, yes, but intention is even more valuable.
As an African woman, friendship has always felt like something much bigger than simply having someone to chat with. It feels like home. It reminds me of growing up where neighbours were aunties whether or not you shared blood, where someone else's mother could discipline you without writing a formal apology afterwards, where laughter travelled across yards, and where life was rarely carried alone. Community wasn't a concept. It was simply how we lived. We belonged to one another in ways that are difficult to explain unless you've experienced it.
Then life scatters us. Some of us move across cities. Others move across oceans. Suddenly, home becomes something we carry in our hearts instead of somewhere we can simply return to. Living in Japan has taught me that loneliness can be incredibly quiet. It doesn't always arrive dramatically. Sometimes it appears while you're grocery shopping alone. Sometimes while watching the first snowfall. Sometimes while celebrating your birthday far away from everyone you've ever called family. It's in those ordinary moments that you realise just how much community matters.
And then, somehow, another woman appears.
She invites you out for coffee. She remembers your favourite snack from Zimbabwe. She checks on you after work. She sits with you through homesickness. She laughs at your jokes, even the ones that require three cultural explanations before they become funny. Before you know it, you've found a little piece of home again.
I often thank God for the friendships He has given me here in Japan. Women from different countries, different cultures, different personalities and different walks of life. On paper, some of us probably shouldn't even have become friends. Yet somehow our hearts recognised something familiar in each other. It amazes me how God writes friendships. Not all of them begin dramatically. Some begin with a simple, "Have you eaten?" Others with, "Can I sit here?" Some begin because one person noticed another sitting alone. The most ordinary moments often become the beginning of extraordinary sisterhood.
Of course, friendships are not always smooth. We misunderstand each other. We become busy. Sometimes we disappoint one another. There are moments when silence stretches longer than we intended, when distance creates unfamiliarity, and when life demands so much of us that keeping up becomes difficult. Yet some friendships possess a beautiful resilience. No matter how much time passes, you somehow find your way back to each other. The conversation picks up where it left off. The laughter returns without permission. The love never really left; it was simply waiting patiently beneath the busyness of life. Those are the friendships I treasure deeply.
The older I become, the less interested I am in having many friends and the more grateful I am for real ones. Women who celebrate loudly when life is kind to me and pray quietly when it isn't. Women who remind me who I am when I forget. Women who tell me the truth with love, who encourage my dreams, who hold space for my tears without trying to rush me into smiling. They have shaped me more than they probably know. Each woman who has entered my life has left something behind. A lesson. A memory. A prayer. A perspective. A reminder that I am capable of loving and being loved in return.
So, although National Girlfriends Day has already passed, I wanted to leave this little note here. To every woman who has called me friend, thank you. Thank you for the conversations that healed parts of me you never even knew were hurting. Thank you for the random voice notes, the laughter that made my stomach hurt, the shared meals, the unexpected gifts, the prayers whispered on my behalf, the honest conversations, and even the disagreements that taught us how to love each other better. Thank you for becoming sisters.
Above all, thank You, God, for reminding me that sometimes family is not only the people we are born to, but also the people You gently place beside us along the journey. Here's to the women who become home, even when home is thousands of kilometres away.
Happy belated National Girlfriends Day to every woman who has loved another woman well. May we continue to cheer each other on, carry one another's burdens, laugh until our cheeks hurt, cry without shame, and leave every woman we meet feeling a little more seen than she did before. Because in a world that often encourages comparison, there is something quietly revolutionary about women choosing sisterhood.





Comments
Post a Comment