The Weight of What We Hold: Learning Not to Build My Happiness on Things That Can Leave

There was a time when I believed happiness had an address, and somehow it was always outside of me. Sometimes it lived in another person's smile. Sometimes it rested in a friendship that made me feel seen. Other times it hid inside a relationship, a dream, a possession, a title, or even a version of my life that I desperately wanted to protect. I convinced myself that as long as I held on tightly enough, I would never have to experience the emptiness of losing it. But life has a way of reminding us that everything we grip too tightly eventually teaches us about letting go.

I know this because I have lived it. I have been the woman whose entire emotional world revolved around people. When someone drifted away, changed, disappointed me, or simply chose a different path, it felt as though a piece of me had been ripped away with them. I wasn't just mourning their absence; I was mourning the version of myself that only existed when they were around. My world would crumble. I would cry until my eyes could no longer produce tears. I would replay conversations like old songs that refused to stop playing. I would wonder what I could have done differently, who I should have been, or whether I had somehow become too much or not enough. The truth was painfully simple: I had attached my happiness to people who were never meant to carry it.

Perhaps you know this feeling too. Maybe your happiness lives inside your relationship. Maybe it is wrapped around your best friend, your career, your children, your family, your social media following, your home, your appearance, your achievements, or even a dream you've spent years chasing. Maybe you've quietly whispered to yourself, "As long as I have this, I'll be okay." Then one day life changes. The relationship ends. The friendship fades. The family dynamic shifts. The job disappears. The dream takes longer than expected. The object breaks. Suddenly you feel as though you've forgotten how to breathe. It isn't because these things weren't beautiful, they were. It's because somewhere along the journey they stopped being part of your life and quietly became your identity.

As Black women, I think this lesson often arrives wrapped in even more layers. We are raised to be resilient before we are allowed to be vulnerable. We become caregivers, peacemakers, nurturers, and protectors. We are taught to pour until everyone else's cup overflows while ours quietly runs dry. We celebrate loyalty so fiercely that sometimes we remain attached to people and situations that have long stopped watering our souls. Many of us grow up searching for spaces where we feel chosen, accepted, and safe because the world has not always offered us that freely. When we finally find those spaces, those friendships, those relationships, or those communities, we cling to them with everything we have, not because we are weak, but because we are tired of losing places that feel like home.

Sometimes we mistake attachment for love. Sometimes we confuse dependence with intimacy. Sometimes we think holding on is the only way to keep something beautiful alive. Yet love should never require us to disappear inside someone else's existence. One of the hardest truths I have had to accept is that people are allowed to change. Friends move. Families evolve. Partners grow. Dreams shift. Seasons end. Nothing in this life has been promised to remain exactly as it is. That truth once terrified me. Now it comforts me, because if everything around me can change, then perhaps my peace was never supposed to depend on what changes. Perhaps it was always meant to grow from within.

Detachment does not mean becoming cold. It does not mean refusing to love deeply or keeping people at arm's length. It means loving with open hands instead of closed fists. It means appreciating people without making them responsible for your joy. It means enjoying beautiful moments without demanding that they last forever. It means remembering that your happiness should be your home, not a visitor.

These days, I still love people deeply. I still treasure meaningful friendships. I still celebrate relationships, family, and the little objects that make life beautiful. But I no longer ask them to complete me. I have learned to become someone I enjoy spending time with. I have learned to create joy in ordinary mornings, quiet walks, unanswered prayers that are still unfolding, cups of tea, long journal entries, sunsets, worship songs, laughter with strangers, and the peaceful realization that I am enough even when life looks different than I imagined. Because if happiness only arrives when everything goes according to plan, then it will rarely visit. But if happiness can be cultivated within your own soul, it will find you even in seasons of loss.

If you're reading this while grieving the loss of someone, something, or even a version of yourself, I hope you know this: you are allowed to miss what once made you smile. You are allowed to mourn what has changed. But please don't confuse losing something with losing yourself. The people you love are gifts. The dreams you chase are gifts. The friendships you cherish are gifts. The possessions you treasure are gifts. But they are not the source of your worth. You were whole before they arrived. Although losing them may leave an ache, it does not erase the beautiful person you have always been.

Maybe that's what growing up really is. Not learning how to hold on tighter, but learning how to love fully, appreciate deeply, release gracefully, and trust that whatever is meant for your journey will never require you to abandon yourself to keep it. Protect your heart. Love boldly. Hold gently. Never place your entire happiness into hands that were never designed to carry it. Because the safest place for your joy has always been within you.



Comments

  1. This just put into words everything I have been experiencing right now. When I woke up today I had a true appreciation of the sunrise and I made my whole family go outside and take pics with me :-)

    Well written.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brows Before Barcodes: How Faith Built a Beauty Empire from the Ground Up

The Homeless Kids Collective Hub (THK): Where Creativity Finds a Home

Legend Eri: When Jewellery Becomes a Journey of Faith, Fire & Fierceness